Welcome to Monument Publishing! Please allow me to tell you about me, this business, our color-coordinated way of doing things, the accompanying ministry that I run, and how you are on the road to experiencing some of the most exciting training opportunities available to homeschoolers.
About the Jeubs
I'm Chris Jeub, father to 16 beautiful children, residing with most of them in Monument, Colorado. We are avidly involved in homeschool forensics. We travel to tournaments, help out at tournaments, judge and compete at tournaments -- we can't get enough of tournaments!
Why do we love this so much? That's simple. While we're stretching ourselves, having fun, playing frisbee between rounds and meeting all sorts of neat people across the country, we are doing something that I believe is one of the most important things a person should do: training the mind for action.
Straight from the Bible, training the mind is something Christians ought to do (1 Peter 1:13). Specifically, learning to think, speak and persuade is at the forefront of Monument Publishing and the activities it promotes. Bottom line: We want you to train your mind!
That's what my wife, Wendy, and I strive to do every day with our children. And we invite you along for the ride!
About the Company
Now, even more specifically is the list of curriculum you are about to buy. We publish for various speech and debate leagues, particularly Stoa and the NCFCA (click through these links for each of their websites). Both of these leagues release debate resolutions, write speech and debate rules for the year, and host national tournaments in June.
Monument Publishing hires the nation's best coaches and former competitors to write the curriculum for league participants. Now, both these leagues consist of homeschool families, not your typical speech and debate extrodinairs. That's what makes our material so awesome! We target the novice student just starting off, and their accompanying parent who hasn't a clue how to get going.
Overall, our philosophy is this: every homeschooler should be doing speech and debate. Seriously. All two million of them. It's the most exciting thing around, and there is something for everyone (see next point). Besides, our world really needs good, articulate, grounded kids to take on the problems it faces. That includes you and your family. I'm convinced of it!
About Our Colors
The competencies are pretty easy to understand when you peruse the site. We color coordinate according to the events we write for:
- BLUE: Team-Policy Debate. "TP" debate is 2-on-2 debate involving political topics.
- RED: Lincoln-Douglas Debate. "LD" debate is 1-on-1 debate involving value resolutions.
- GOLD: Extemporaneous Speech or Parli Debate. Extemp speakers and Parliamentary debaters are experts in current events.
- SILVER: Apologetics. Competitive Apologetics is an event that requires students to give 4 minute speeches after 2 minutes of preparation.
- PLATINUM: Platform speaking. These include several events like persuasive, original oratory, and the like.
- EMERALD: Interpretive speaking. Actors will love the opportunity to flash their creativity in literary interpretive speaking like humorous, dramatic, and duo.
You know, there is something for everyone in speech and debate. The brainiacs and the artists, the political and the theatrical. Finding the events that fit you may take some time, but you should be sold from the get-go: speech and debate is for my family.
About Training Minds Ministry
We're not all about selling books. This is ministry for my family, and that goes for all the coaches involved in Monument Publishing, too. This is where Training Minds Ministry, a 501(c)(3) organization, comes in.
Training Minds Camps take place every summer. We strive to train the kids and their parents how to do this wonderful sport. Here's how:
- Training Minds Camp. We center here in Colorado, typically escaping to the mountains in August. Our main camp flies in all our coaches for a week of intense training.
- Training Minds Seminars. We also host smaller seminars on a case-by-case basis. Since 2001 we have held programs in California, Idaho, Oregon, Texas, Virginia, West and North Carolina, New Hampshire, and Florida.
- Nationals Intensive Training Camp. Training Minds is with you all the way through the year. If you make it to nationals, we set up a training camp the weekend before. Boy oh boy, the results speak for themselves. Our campers always outperform the rest!
There is more that Training Minds Ministry does; find out more at www.trainingminds.org
. Training Minds runs off of camp fees and donations from good people like you. Consider becoming a supporter so we can continue doing the good work of training minds for action!
About Speech & Debate
Okay, now, let's take a few steps back. This site runs through the products, roughly explained above. You're investing in one of the most important training activities a young person can undertake. Sadly, training the mind to think, speak and persuade is avoided in a homeschool curriculum. I think that's a shame.
And you're here at Monument Publishing because you know better! You believe that this world is heading for greater days largely because of this activity alone. You're likely thinking, "Where on earth do I begin?" Glad you asked.
I have written a book called Jeub's Guide to Homeschool Speech & Debate that outlines the fundamentals of what it takes to succeed in the homeschool leagues. It's a simple read, but invaluably helpful if you're just starting out. No doubt about it: start your journey with this book.
And the book guides you through all the to-do's. Find or start a club, pick out speech pieces, connect with others, get the right resources, sign up for tournaments that are running all over the country. While forensics is considered an academic adventure, it really isn't much different than a sport. They demand your attention, they have contests available for you, and they're a whole lot of fun.
Enjoy your journey into speech and debate!
Owner of Monument Publishing