Vance Trefethen released two policy cases for three leagues (NCFCA, NSDA and Stoa), late in the season but just in time for some big league tournaments. Consider this a “Late-season Surprise.” Here’s the kicker: We will not be releasing the negative brief till March 27, which gives you an opportunity to run a brand new case with a case that hasn’t been briefed yet.
Big opportunity, yes! But big responsibility, too. You’re going to have to brief against it yourself.
We put together a contest for each league to accept submissions of the briefs you and your partner put together. If we deem it publishable (a decent brief with valid evidence cards), we’ll give you $20 in store vouchers. We will award $100 to the best of the bunch! All contestants get published, too, which is another cool factor to this contest.
Release Dates and Deadlines
Deadline for your submission is 3/25/17. Click on the following to download the case formatted for your league:
- NCFCA Case Releases 3/13/17. Note that the Massachusetts Open is that weekend.
- Stoa Case Releases 3/20/17. Note that big tournaments are running in Colorado, California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Georgia and Missouri.
- NSDA Case Releases 3/20/17. Many state tournament qualifiers are going on right now.
These are downloadable for free for Monument Members of any policy debate event, or for sale for $15 for everyone else.
This contest is officially called The Monument Publishing Late-season Case Brief Award where Monument Publishing releases a case without a negative brief in the month of March. This contest is open to any Monument Member in any league. Here are the official rules:
- Writers are encouraged to use the following Word Document to build their brief. Contestants will retain all copyright to their brief, merely giving permission to Monument Publishing to edit and publish as necessary. Byline will remain on the published download.
S17-B-NEG-My Neg Against Late-season Surprise
- Every submission deemed publishable will receive a $20 coupon good for 30 days to be used (in partiality or in full) on any product or download at MonumentPublishing.com. Monument Publishing will choose their favorite brief and award that writer with a $100 coupon.
- By submitting your piece, you agree to have your full name as the byline to the piece and a short explanation of you and your competitive experience. If you provide Monument Publishing with a photo, you’d look really cool on the website.
- Briefs may be co-written with as many bylines as the author wants and may be written by a club. However, prizes will be awarded only to the Monument Member submitting the piece.
- Submissions due March 25, 2017. Email your briefs to firstname.lastname@example.org. All submissions should be serious attempts to address the case at hand, and Monument Publishing reserves the right to determine eligibility. All links will be double-checked, and any fabrication, tampering or any other integrity problems will be rejected.
Email your briefs to email@example.com. Have fun briefing!