This product is one of $2,000+ worth of textbooks, archives and curriculum available for $299. Plus, you get infinite access to all the downloads plus any edition upgrades we do in the future. In other words, you never need to buy a textbook again. Available on our membership website, with or without a current membership.
Source Material for Policy Debaters
Learning policy debate is made simple, successful and fun with Blue Book and its related materials. Policy debaters have relied on Blue Book since 1998, a true staple for their preparation. Co-authored by Chris Jeub and Vance Trefethen, the sourcebook teaches readers the structural demands of policy debate, provides summer releases for league-specific preparation, and gives strategic substance to excel in the round to win ballots.
Debaters trust Blue Book to get the tools necessary for successful policy debating.
What Comes With Blue Book
- A physical copy of Blue Book (for a digital download instead, see here).
- Twelve lessons in four units to walk you through the essential instruction in policy debate.
- Worksheets customized to each lesson to help measure retention.
- Activities for each lesson to be done as you study the lessons.
- Each release comes with ready-to-run topical case, affirmative extension, and negative brief.
- All tags and evidence are triple-checked and hyperlinked, ensuring top standards for evidence integrity.
- Digital access to the Summer Releases, resolutional analysis and spotlight cases/briefs written specifically for the current year’s resolutions. A $29 value! (see below)
- Physical Blue Books purchased through this site come with a 100% money-back guarantee.
Table of Contents:
- What Is Policy Debate?
- Units and Lesson Plans
- Scope and Sequence
- Adapting the Schedule
- Your Digital Addenda
- What’s Legal, What’s Not
- Important Changes to This Edition
- Unit I: Structure of Policy Debate
- Lesson 1: Basic Preparation for Policy Debate
- Lesson 2: Speaker Responsibilities
- Lesson 3: Flowing
- Unit II: Strategy of Debate Cases
- Lesson 4: Elements of an Affirmative Case
- Lesson 5: Stock Issues and Other Elements of Debate
- Lesson 6: Research
- Unit III: Model Resolutions
- Lesson 7: Domestic Surveillance
- Lesson 8: Federal Court Reform
- Lesson 9: Trade with China
- Unit IV: League-Specific Resolutions
- Lesson 10: Your Policy Debate League
- Lesson 11: Understand the Status Quo
- Lesson 12: Spotlight Cases
- Blue Membership
- Answer Keys
Summer Releases Included ($30 value)
By summer, several leagues release new policy debate resolutions. Blue Book authors gather topical overviews and three “spotlight cases” after resolutions are released. Blue Book owners use the digital code inside their book to download the Summer Releases, supporting the following leagues:
- NSDA. Their resolution releases in January every year after its membership votes.
- NCFCA. Their resolution releases in June at their national tournament.
- Stoa. Their resolution releases in May at their national tournament.
The releases will be similar to Unit III of Blue Book consisting of a full chapter of a history of the topic plus “Understanding the Status Quo,” where the authors list a variety of issues the resolution sets up. A followup student worksheet to test reading comprehension is included. Each of the Spotlight Cases consist of an affirmative case, 2A extension evidence, and a full negative brief ready to run in a debate round.
Coach Vance debated in National Forensic League debate while in high school from 1979-1982. In college, he judged at high school NFL tournaments in North Carolina. A homeschooling dad himself, he realized the growing potential and benefit of homeschool debate and switched over to coaching homeschoolers a couple years later. In 2001, he helped Chris Jeub with bringing The Blue Book to a more advanced level. He has been co-authoring Blue Book ever since.
Coach Jeub is owner of Monument Publishing. He authors and co-authors several of the publications, but enjoys plugging other speech and debate talent into key writing positions.Mr. Jeub resides in Monument, Colorado, with his wife and 12 of his 16 children. Over the years, his family has carried five titles in two different leagues.
Alternatives and Options
There are variations of this resource that you may want to consider buying into. These are separate products that must be purchased at the following pages:
- PDF ($29). If you prefer to purchase the PDF version only, click here.
- Teacher Edition ($39). If you prefer to purchase the teachers edition, click here.
- Bulk Order Package ($190). If you would like to purchase blocks of 10 books, click here.
- Policy Debate Membership (price increases throughout the year). If you prefer debate releases weekly throughout the school year, buy into Monument Memberships.
Sharing and Legality
Sharing the sourcebook contents and/or its digital components is strictly prohibited. Sourcebooks are designed for individual competitors. “Sharing” does not include utilizing cases or briefs in a debate round by showing the material to opponents, judges or tournament administrators. Sourcebook owners are allowed to utilize their sourcebook material as they see fit, but are not allowed to share that utilization with others.
Money Back Guarantee
Be assured that 100% of your money will be refunded if you are not completely satisfied. Monument Publishing is confident that you WILL be COMPLETELY SATISFIED.