This product is one of $2,000+ worth of textbooks, archives and curriculum available for $299. Plus, you get infinite access to all the downloads plus any edition upgrades we do in the future. In other words, you never need to buy a textbook again. Available on our membership website, with or without a current membership.
Source Material for Lincoln-Douglas Debaters
Learning Lincoln-Douglas debate is made simple, successful and fun with Red Book and its related materials. LD debaters have relied on Red Book since 2000, a true staple for their preparation. Authored by Chris Jeub, the sourcebook teaches readers the structural demands of Lincoln-Douglas debate, provides summer releases for league-specific preparation, and gives strategic substance to excel in the round to win ballots.
Debaters trust Red Book to get the tools necessary for successful Lincoln-Douglas debating.
What comes with your Red Book
- A physical copy of Red Book (for a digital download instead, see here).
- Twelve lessons in four units to walk you through the essential instruction in Lincoln-Douglas debate.
- Worksheets customized to each lesson to help measure retention.
- Each release comes with ready-to-run affirmative and negative cases.
- Activities for each lesson to be shared with your club or classroom.
- Digital access to the Summer Releases, resolutional analysis and spotlight cases written specifically for the current year’s resolutions. A $29 value! (see below)
- Each comes with ready-to-run cases and opposition summary.
- Physical Red Books purchased through this site come with a 100% money-back guarantee.
Table of Contents
- What Is Lincoln-Douglas Debate?
- Units and Lesson Plans
- Scope and Sequence
- Adapting the Schedule
- Your Digital Addenda
- What’s Legal, What’s Not
- Important Changes to This Edition
- Unit I: Structure of Lincoln-Douglas Debate
- Lesson 1: Basic Preparation for Lincoln-Douglas Debate
- Lesson 2: Speaker Responsibilities
- Lesson 3: Flowing
- Unit II: Strategy of Debate Cases
- Lesson 4: Your Value Proposition
- Lesson 5: Contentions
- Lesson 6: The Rebuttals
- Unit III: Model Resolutions
- Lesson 7: Civil Disobedience
- Lesson 8: Privacy vs. Security
- Lesson 9: Liberal Arts vs. Practical Skills
- Unit IV: League-Specific Resolutions
- Lesson 10: Your Lincoln-Douglas Debate League
- Lesson 11: Preparing for Tournaments
- Lesson 12: New Spotlight Cases
- Red Membership
- Answer Keys
Summer Releases Included ($30 value)
By summer, several leagues release new LD debate resolutions. Red Book authors gather resolutional overviews and four “spotlight cases” after resolutions are released. Red Book owners use the digital code inside their book to download the Summer Releases, supporting the following leagues:
- NSDA. Their first resolution releases in August for the Sept/Oct resolution.
- NCFCA. Their resolution releases in June at their national tournament.
- Stoa. Their resolution releases in May at their national tournament.
The releases will be similar to Unit III of Red Book consisting of a full chapter explaining the ideas behind the resolution and a history of its conflicts. A followup student worksheet to test reading comprehension is included. Each of the Spotlight Cases consist of summaries, cases and refutation strategies for the cases.
Coach Jeub is owner of Monument Publishing. He authors and co-authors several of the publications, but enjoys plugging other speech and debate talent into key writing positions.Mr. Jeub resides in Monument, Colorado, with his wife and 12 of his 16 children. Over the years, his family has carried five titles in two different leagues.
Alternatives and Options
There are variations of this resource that you may want to consider buying into. These are separate products that must be purchased at the following pages:
- PDF ($29). If you prefer to purchase the PDF version only, click here.
- Teacher Edition ($39). If you prefer to purchase the teachers edition, click here.
- Bulk Order Package ($190). If you would like to purchase blocks of 10 books, click here.
- Lincoln-Douglas Debate Membership ($99/year). If you prefer debate releases weekly throughout the school year, buy into Monument Memberships.
Sharing and Legality
Sharing the sourcebook contents and/or its digital components is strictly prohibited. Sourcebooks are designed for individual competitors. “Sharing” does not include utilizing cases or briefs in a debate round by showing the material to opponents, judges or tournament administrators. Sourcebook owners are allowed to utilize their sourcebook material as they see fit, but are not allowed to share that utilization with others.
Money Back Guarantee
Be assured that 100% of your money will be refunded if you are not completely satisfied. Monument Publishing is confident that you WILL be COMPLETELY SATISFIED.